This year, we welcome tech-savvy junior talents to three different internship opportunities in Helsinki. Take a seat on the rocket ship and become a Solutions Engineer, a Software Developer, or a Service Operations Engineer at Smartly.io!
Applications for internships/traineeships are now open in:
We offer a steep learning curve, flexible start and end dates, and an opportunity to continue as a full-time employee.
How to know which program to apply? Get a glimpse into each role below and learn more in the job descriptions.
Solutions Engineering and Service Operations Engineering internships suit best for junior business talents with sideline programming projects and a drive towards product development, or junior programmers who are itching to take responsibility for customer relationship management. Software Developer internship is most suited to junior programmers who want to focus on software product development.
Work closely with the largest online advertisers across Europe in Solutions Engineering
The Solutions Engineer Internship is a six-month program where you immerse into the fast-evolving world of online advertising, master industry insights, deepen your tech skills, and learn more about strategic customer work.
As a Solutions Engineer Intern, you will travel to meet customers in the top business hubs of Europe, including London, Dublin, Paris, Madrid, and Berlin. This is a brand new internship program. Exciting times guaranteed!
Solutions Engineers play a crucial role in managing customer onboarding, and participate in strategic customer meetings. They assist with technical implementations, such as configuring passing tracking data server-to-server and act as strategic partners to customers in setting up their online marketing.
Learn more about the role here.
Become a front-line firefighter and a system builder in Service Operations Engineering
The Service Operations Engineer Internship is a six-month program where you become a full-fledged member of one of our most mission-critical teams. The Service Operations team, known to friends as ServiceOps, develops and facilitates the 24/5 customer support system at Smartly.io.
Some companies might see customer support as a necessary evil. We decided to put customer support at the very heart of our organization, and all Smartlies do support, including our CEO. This dedication has made the customer support one of our key competitive advantages.
As a Service Operations Engineer Intern, you will spend roughly 70% of your time on development projects and the other 30% on consulting, guiding, and supporting customers. You will solve both business-related and technical problems for the largest online advertisers globally, and develop technical expertise in online advertising.
Preferably, you would continue as a full-time employee after the internship. As a full-time employee, you will have the opportunity to rotate to a different office and build international experience in, e.g. Singapore or San Francisco.
Learn more about the role here.
Build a software product for the world's largest online advertisers as a Software Developer Intern
We're looking for brilliant junior programmers to join our Engineering team. In this role, you will work as a full-fledged member in one of our autonomous development teams, and take ownership and responsibility of your work early on. You will add to your technical skill set, develop fast as a professional programmer, and learn how complex software products are built in a fast-paced environment.
This internship is very flexible—you can apply for and start your internship at any time throughout the year. There is no specific deadline for the applications. We're constantly looking for bright junior programmers, and fill the roles as the right interns are found.
Apply now and maximize your learning at Smartly.io
Here's what Anton thinks about his internship experience at Smartly.io. He started working in the Service Operations team last spring and has continued as a full-time Service Operations Engineer after his internship.
"At Smartly.io, learning happens at warp speed. In just one summer, I have become a professional in Facebook marketing, and I have been working closely with Uber, one of our largest customers. It's difficult to list all the things I've learned here because I've learned so much."
Want to unleash your potential and fast-forward your professional development? We're looking forward to hearing from you! 🚀