In our previous Blog Post, we covered why it is critical for advertisers to invest in mid-funnel campaigns. We also know that increasing your target audience and pushing it down the funnel requires a customized approach for each step of their journey. Now, it's time to get tactical and cover the "How" part to mid-funnel marketing!
1. Turn potential customers to actual customers
When building your mid-funnel campaigns, focus on reaching consumers that are similar to your existing customers and have the potential of becoming ones.
Good audiences to consider:
- Current Clients and Product Page Lookalike Audiences (1%-10%)
- Converter Lookalikes (1%-5%) because it will look for people that are similar to the ones who converted on your current Facebook campaigns.
- Dynamic Ads for Broad Audiences (DABA) you can leverage Facebook's algorithm and your own product catalog for prospecting.
Make sure to group people based on where they are in the customer lifecycle and combine that audience targeting with a relevant optimization goal so the algorithm can look for people that are most likely to convert on their current stage and move them down the funnel.
2. How to adapt and nail your message with a creative mix
The ideal creative mix depends on several factors. Adding videos to your creative mix, for example, can increase your reach capacity and can be more effective in explaining your products/services' value. On the other hand, static ad formats perform better if your conversion window for analysis doesn't include post-view attribution. And, as always, a creative testing plan is essential in order to find the creatives that work best for your business.
Crafting relevant messages for each stage on the customer's lifecycle is imperative. For that mid-funnel audience, it's important to use tactics like:
- Incentivize a first-time conversion: e.g. 10% off first purchase, free trial, buy one, get one free
- Testimonial by an influencer or someone similar to them
- Showcase best sellers and/or main USPs
- Generate FOMO. Use wording like limited edition, VIP, premium, exclusive, member-only, subscriber-only.
3. Create well-performing ads with these creative best practices
Creative is one of the most powerful performance drivers, but in today's competitive landscape it can be challenging to catch your audience's attention. Apply these tips and tricks to your creative strategy today!1. Think about the customer journey and tailor your message accordingly to where your customer is in the funnel.
- Tell a story. Consistency is key in storytelling and in moving people from one step of the funnel to the next.
- Adapt your CTAs. Don't ask too much too quickly.
- Ensure a consistent visual experience from click to the landing page in each step of the funnel.
- Test your way to the best Creative mix. Different ad formats will help you reach people at the different steps of their shopping journeys. .
- Remember that video and static ads work better together.
2. Stay Relevant - did you know that 91% of consumers are more likely to shop if they receive relevant offers?
- Less is more. Keep your ads clean and avoid cluttering your ad with too much info.
- Showcase people using your product. For optimal performance include both product and lifestyle imagery in your ads.
- Focus on one or two unique selling points per ad. Keep in mind that people buy your product for different reasons - therefore having a mix of ads covering different product USPs/messages is key to reach all your potential customers.
- Adapt your creatives according to seasonality and special events such as the Holidays.
- Whenever possible, customize your creatives to different locations/languages.
3. How to cut through the noise: People spend only 1.7 seconds per piece of mobile content so make sure you grab their attention from the start.
- Make your ads attention-grabbing with bold, complementary colors, while ensuring your brand colors are the most prominent to increase brand recall.
- Highlight your main USP & brand early - within the first 3 seconds if a video and on the first cards if it is a carousel.
- Use a modular creative approach to test what best resonates with the different buyer motivations within your audience.
- For videos, remember the heartbeat flow: show something impactful every 3 seconds.
4. Design for each placement as they all have their own specs and moments of consumption.
- Give your product as much real estate as possible. Use 4:5 and/or 1:1 aspect ratio for the feed and 9:16 for Stories.
- Use native elements such as UGC, influencer, unboxing, screen recording, selfies, polls, hashtags, emojis and stickers for each platform.
- Ensure that vital information such as price and availability is prominent across ad formats.
- Always think mobile-first. Make sure your ad is legible on small devices.
- Design for sound off, delight with sound on.
- Pay attention to the size and quality of your assets - high resolution but low file size for quick load times.
Once you have your campaign structure and message designed for your mid-funnel campaign, make sure to follow an optimal analysis criteria to evaluate performance on those. It is key to measure each funnel stage with a variety of operational KPIs specific to each step and the overall funnel approach with a strategic KPI by running formal ad studies.
Please reach out to your CSM for a more detailed guideline on testing methodology or send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be in touch!